Pennsylvania has been a pioneer in many important things, one of them being legalizing sports betting. The Keystone State became the seventh state to legalize sports betting after the 2018 landmark US Supreme Court’s decision. Sports betting officially made the headlines in PA in 2019 with the launch of the first online sportsbook.
What’s more, sports betting in Pennsylvania has found its audience, now expanding to mobile apps for players on the go. The industry has been thriving since then, and we can only expect to see more.
If you’re interested in learning more about the legality of mobile betting apps in Pennsylvania and what to expect, you’ve landed on the right page. Scroll down while we take you through the mobile betting scene in PA.
- 1 Are Mobile Betting Apps in Pennsylvania Legal?
- 2 Are There Any Mobile Betting Apps in PA?
- 3 Sports Betting Offer in Pennsylvania
- 4 Other Mobile Gambling Options in Pennsylvania
- 5 Getting Started With Mobile Betting Apps
- 6 FAQ
Are Mobile Betting Apps in Pennsylvania Legal?
As we’ve mentioned, sports betting is completely legal in Pennsylvania, and with it, so are mobile betting applications. The state officially legalized sports betting in 2018 after the Supreme Court struck down PASPA (Professional and Amateur Sports Protection Act).
It didn’t take long for Pennsylvania to get on board and release its first online sports betting site in May 2019. Currently, the state has 12 land-based sports betting sites, most of which are located in Philadelphia. These include DraftKings, FanDuel, William Hill, Caesars, Unibet, SugarHouse, BetRivers, Parx, and more.
Pennsylvania Gaming Control Board regulates sports betting in the state. All sportsbooks that want to operate within the state’s borders need to go through rigorous testing before they get a license and go live.
Are There Any Mobile Betting Apps in PA?
Although SugarHouse Sportsbook was the first to go live in Pennsylvania, the sports betting giant is still without a dedicated mobile betting app. Luckily, other sports betting providers have ensured players have a couple of options when it comes to betting on the go.
Currently, the state has five mobile betting apps that players from Pennsylvania can access. Those are DraftKings, Unibet, Fox Bet, FanDuel, and BetMGM. That still means a few other names have not prepared mobile betting apps for their audiences in the Keystone State.
Naturally, bettors need to be at least 21 years old to place bets via mobile apps. This applies to both online and live bets. However, bettors don’t need to be permanent residents of the state but just located within state lines.
Sports Betting Offer in Pennsylvania
Once you decide which mobile betting app fits your needs the most, you can start placing bets. These top-ranking mobile apps offer various bets on all types of sports, including professional and collegiate competitions and tournaments. Many of them also offer to bet on horse racing, but if that’s not your cup of tea, take a look at the sports betting offer in PA below.
- Straights — One of the most basic betting offers is a straight bet. It means betting on the outcome of a match or event. Here, you can include moneylines, totals, or point spreads.
- Futures — As the name suggests, a future bet is placed on an event, match, tournament, and similar that will occur in the future. This way, you bet on the outcome of that event, and the sooner you place the bet, the higher the odds.
- Parlays — A parlay represents a bet of two or more events. To win a parlay bet, you need to win all your wagers.
- Propositions — Proposition bets are probably the most fun but can be complicated sometimes. They allow you to guess which player will score first, who will receive the first red or yellow card in a match, etc.
- Teasers — Teasers are quite similar to parlays, but the bettor can realize a lower return on the bets in the event of a win. Teasers are perfect bets for football or basketball.
As you can guess, the range of available sports and events to be on is huge. Pennsylvania offers only the best to its players. You can expect betting offers for all major competitions, such as NFL, NBA, MLB, NHL, and others. But let’s check the list below and see what else you can expect.
Unfortunately, betting on esports is not allowed in the state. Parties interested in placing bets on esports won’t be able to do it legally within Pennsylvania’s borders. Hopefully, the state will make some changes in the future to cater to all bettors, but there aren’t any indications yet.
Other Mobile Gambling Options in Pennsylvania
As you’ve probably noticed, mobile betting and gambling have taken over the industry. Not many people choose to place their bets on PCs due to convenience and easier access. What’s more, almost all interested bettors have a smartphone or similar device, whether it’s an iOS or Android, further enabling the betting process.
That’s why Pennsylvanian casinos offer a range of betting options to their residents. Players can find mobile apps and in-browser options to gamble on their favorite casino games, like poker, slots, blackjack, roulette, baccarat, and more.
Currently, the state features around ten mobile gambling apps, and the Pennsylvania Gaming Control Board oversees all the gambling activity. All casinos are coded in HTML5, meaning you shouldn’t experience any lags or bugs when playing in the app.
The same rules apply here, as well. Only players over 21 are free to download an app and join a casino.
Getting Started With Mobile Betting Apps
Many potential bettors have prejudices against mobile betting apps but for no good reason. Getting started is as simple as it is to bet using your PC. All you need to do is go over a few simple steps:
- Find the app you want to download in your Apple or Play store.
- Once the download is completed, sign up by filling out the necessary fields. Type in your name, address, DOB, email, and other required information.
- Once you’re verified, go to the Banking or Cashier section of the app and look for available payment methods.
- When you pick one, deposit funds, and you’re good to go.
- Find the events or games you want to bet on and make your wager instantly.
These mobile betting apps come with another advantage — you won’t need to log in every time you want to make a bet. Since the app is downloaded to your personal device, you can open it and start wagering without any delays whenever you want.
Is online sports betting legal in Pennsylvania?
Yes, it is. Pennsylvania legalized online sports betting in 2018 and launched its first legal betting site a year later.
What is the minimum gambling age in PA?
The minimum gambling age in Pennsylvania is 21 years.
Does Pennsylvania have any mobile betting apps?
Yes, it does. The Keystone State features several mobile betting apps, so you can take your pick and start betting right away.
What sports can I bet on in PA?
You can bet on a number of sports, including football, basketball, hockey, baseball, soccer, tennis, and much more.